SECOND LEVEL PROFESSIONAL MASTER IN ADVANCED IMPLANTOLOGY
The diffusion of implantology offers the clinician more and more often the treatment of cases characterized by significant atrophies of the alveolar process. All this has been treated up to now with important reconstructive procedures. The invasiveness of these procedures has today directed clinical practice towards less invasive procedures or, in other words, the search for alternative positioning of implant posts. The aim of the course is to prepare students for advanced management of jaw atrophies starting from an accurate diagnosis to arrive at a rational therapeutic choice that takes into account not only the reconstructive techniques, but also the choice of alternative implant placements.
The Master main partner is the Istituto Stomatologico Toscano.
The official language of the Master will be English.
Start Date: February 2022
- Lectures will be held at the Istituto Stomatologico Toscano.
- The practical Hands on and the internship will be held at: the ISTITUTO STOMATOLOGICO TOSCANO.
Final Certification and Formative Credits:
All candidates who have completed the planned training and passes the final exam will receive a second level Master’s Degree in Advanced Implantology with the assignment of 60 credits(CFU)
The Master’s program lasts 12 months and includes a total time of 1.500 hours, divided into:
- practical activity and lectures and seminars
- internship (750 hours);
- study and individual preparation activities including the preparation of the final exam.
The attendance is mandatory for at least the 75% of the total hours of the Master.
For frontal lectures and seminars (unless otherwise comunication) a commitment of 4 session of approximately 5 days is forseen for the entire duration of the Master.The total hours of training will be scheduled in accordance with the host structure.
A minimum number of 10 students is requested in order to activate the Master. Below the thershold of 10 UniCamillus can unilaterally decide not to activate the Master (with return of any already paied partecipant fees)
The maximum number of students is 30
METHODOLOGY AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM
The Master has a theoretical-practical approach aimed at providing a learning on the problems of the surgical and rehabilitation prosthetic phases supporting the implant in cases with bone atrophy.
The teachings that are carried out within Istituto Stomatologico Toscano, aim to provide basic theoretical and methodological knowledge and consist of lectures and practical laboratory activities
The Master’s program includes the following teaching modules:
1st module: Generalities, Bone reconstruction
- Classification of maxillary atrophies
- Classification of jaw atrophies
- Pre-operative evaluations for advanced implantology
- Diagnosis and instrumental examinations: the CT Cone beam.
- The stereolithographic model as a diagnostic tool
- Notions of anesthesia for advanced implant surgery
- The rational drug treatment in advanced implant surgery
- Surgical anatomy of the jaw
- Surgical anatomy of the mandible
- Basic principles and current techniques of bone reconstruction
- Alternative anchorages in bone atrophy: nasal, pterygoid, zygomatic, subperiosteal implants
- Review of the scientific literature on alternative anchors from the beginning to today.
- Medico-legal considerations in advanced implantology
2nd module: Maxillary sinus – Nasal and pterygoid implants
- Anatomy and physiology of the maxillary sinus
- Knowledge of surgical devices
o Piezoelectric surgery
o Magneto-dynamic surgery
- Sinus surgery with vestibular access
- Biomaterials for sinus reconstruction
- Registered and live sinus surgery
- Crestal approach for sinus surgery
- The instrumental alternatives for the mini sinus lift
- Hands-on on sinus surgery techniques
- Prevention and treatment of complications of sinus surgery
- Nasal implants: description, indications and contraindications.
- Anchorage with tilted implants.
- Literature review and prognostic evaluations
- Clinical indications for pterygoid and nasal implants.
- Radiographic study and planning of pterygoid and nasal implants
- Pterygoid implant: description, indications and contraindications.
- Computer-assisted positioning of pterygoid implants
- Nasal implant: description, indications and contraindications.
- Surgical technique of nasal implants
3rd module: Zygomatic implants
- Zygomatic implants: description, indications and contraindications.
- Intra and extra sinus technique.
- Surgical procedures: access flaps in zygomatic implant surgery.
- Identification and isolation of areas at risk: nasal cavities, infraorbital nerve and isolation of the zygomatic area.
- Description of the instrumentation.
- Clinical cases and videos.
- Prevention and treatment of complications.
- Practice on models.
- Computer assisted surgery in zygomatic implants
- Prosthetic aspects in full arch reconstructions supported by zygomatic implants.
- Hybrid Zygoma and QUAD.
4th module: Subperiosteal implants
- Subperiosteal implants: description, indications and contraindications.
- Patient selection
- Preoperative Workup and CBCT Examination
- Design and Fabrication of the Custom-Made Subperiosteal Implants
- Surgical and Prosthetic Procedures
- Clinical Outcomes
The Master Director is Prof. Ugo Covani (1)
(1) Prof Ugo Covani, MD DDS Professor
Medicine Doctor – Certified in Surgery and in Stomatology
President of Istituto Stomatologico Toscano c/o Versilia general Hospital
Former Full Professor of Dentistry University of Pisa
Visiting Professor Dept. Oral and Maxillo-facial Surgery State University of New York at Buffalo (USA) e Universidad Cat ólica San Antonio de Murcia (Spain)
Past-President della Società Italiana di Chirurgia Orale, dell’European Board of Oral Surgery e dell’Italian Academy of Osseointegration
Author of about 300 publications, half of them in international peer reviewed journals and 5 books and as many book chapters
ADMISSION AND SELECTION CRITERIA
One of the following degree titles are required to be admitted to the Professional Master Program (or near graduation by the Master enrolment deadline):
- Master’s degree and / or specialist degree in dentistry and dental prosthesis;
- Master’s degree and/ or specialist degree in medicine and surgery with specialization in Dentistry or qualification for the practice of dentistry;
- Master’s degree in Medicine and Surgery
Other candidates who can also apply:
- Candidates in possession of an Academic Degree equivalent to those listed above obtained in a foreign University.
- Candidates in possession of an Academic Degree obtained abroad and equivalent in duration and content to those listed above.
The University reserves the right to admit candidates with different qualifications but relevant to the Master’s course.
PROCEDURES AND TERMS FOR APPLICATION
The application must be received, signed and written on plain paper, as well as written clearly and legibly, using the form available on the site, by the date of 15/12/2021
- with hand delivery to the University (Monday to Friday 9 to 13.)
- Registerd letter A/R at the adress: Scuola post-laurea – UniCamillus University – Via di Sant’Alessandro 8 – 00131 Roma;
- Email to both of the following email addresses
Please specify the name of the Professional Master you wish to attend
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- curriculum vitae et studiorum european format, dated and signed;
- photocopy of an identity card;
- any other accademic titles that the candidate wish to submit for the admission;
- Photocopy of fiscal code or health insurance card (for Italian citizens and foreigners in possession of it).
- For candidates in possession of equivalent qualifications to those required: declaration in lieu of certification pursuant to art. 46 of D.P.R.28/12/2000,n. 445, certifying the achievement of the aforementioned securities in accordance with current legislation.
- Candidates in possesion of an accademic title obtained in a foreign country will have to present the “STUDY ABROAD DECLARATION” using the form available on the site. Within 2 months from the begining of the Master, those candidates will have to deliver to the student secretariat, the original of the official translation in Italian of the full qualifications of legalization and of the Declaration of Value issued by the Italian Embassy or Italian Consulate General competent for the territory in the country in which the title was produced
- Copy of the payment of the first instalment (€2.500)
In the reason for payment, please indicate the first and last name of the applicant and the name of the Master’s course in which you intend to participate.
Call for Selection
Study Abroad Declaration
UniCamillus – Saint Camillus International University of Health Sciences Via di Sant’Alessandro 8 – 00131 Rome
tel. 06 40 06 40
UniCamillus – Saint Camillus International University of Health Sciences
Via di Sant’Alessandro 8 – 00131 Rome